Thursday, January 03, 2013

New Year's resolutions

And why I don't make them. Making resolutions for the New Year, isn't something that we did at home. I remember a class in public school where the said resolutions were our written assignment and I hadn't a clue what the teacher was talking about. There's a lot of hype this time of year about making resolutions with suggestions for everything from quitting smoking and losing weight to spending more time with family and being more loving. All of these things are beneficial and worth while. but I have never been inclined to make any resolutions for the forthcoming year.

The principle reason I don't make resolutions is that I think they are a waste of time. If I have spent some time doing an internal review and made some decisions that changes need to be made, I don't wait for the new year, I do it right now. Now, when I'm thinking about it. Now, when whatever has prompted the decision is fresh in my mind. Now, when the desire to change is present.

For me, and I expect for a lot of other people, if anything is going to change, the desire to change has to be there. Making decisions on personal improvement of any kind can't come just because an arbitrary date has been reached. Real change comes because we want to change. No matter how beneficial the goal, you aren't going to reach it unless you want to. That's way most New Year resolutions aren't kept. People make the resolutions with the best of intentions, without real desire for change. So it's no wonder that by the time the first of February gets here, most of the resolutions have fallen by the way side.

If you want to make changes in your life, make them. Don't wait for Jan 1 to come around again, do it when your thinking about it.

3 comments:

shannon_in_love said...

I agree completely!

Margarets designer cards said...

I agree with you, I used to make them to lose weight, did I no, Now I don't bother they don't work and something always gets in the way. I want to lose weight it's an on going thing that I try every year, one day I will lose it but for now I need to get pain free and get my life back on track.
Happy new year to you and your family
Margaret

Cindy said...

I don't always make resolutions as such, but I do love the New Year to remind myself to take a good look at what I'm doing. I usually resolve to just try to be a better person - inside and out, and all year long :)