Sunday, June 28, 2009

Anniversary Present

Lest you think that I haven't really been tatting recently, I thought I'd show you this little heart which measures not quite 2 inches across. I thought it would work well for an anniversary project but I wanted to do it in gold thread.


When I did it in DMC gold it came out 1.25 inches across which was just a bit small. So I had to re-do it again larger.


Here is the larger version entwined with a second heart and some gold embroidery on a satin backing and mounted in a 5x7 frame. We had a 40th wedding celebration for my sister Flo and her husband Allan, yesterday. I wasn't present when it was unwrapped so I have not idea whether they liked it or not. They probably did. My siblings are all wonderfully supportive.

In case the reflective thread makes it hard to read, across the top it says Faith Hope Love



with their names across the bottom Allan Florrie

DMC gold embroidery thread is the pits to work with especially on slippery satin. I tried working with 6 strands which just threatened to pull holes through the fabric so I switched to 3 strands. That still didn't work so I resorted to the spooled metallic gold that I used for the tatting. It worked better but I could only do 4 or 5 letters before the thread unwound and became impossible to work with.

In comparison, Gale Marshall at Tat's All carries a gold thread that's a dream to work with for many applications.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Awww...that is sweet! What a thoughtful gift. I like the thought of the intertwined hearts! :)

tattrldy said...

What a wonderful wedding present! It looks great!

Ladytats said...

Very good Sharon, looks great and I will have to try Gale's thread.

Jane Eborall said...

SO pretty. LOVE the heart design. I agree about Gale's thread. It's the best gold thread I've ever used.

EnlightenedByAngels said...

What a beautiful and thoughtful gift!